How Do I Set Up a VPN with WatchGuard?
One of WatchGuard’s many offerings to increase your security online includes their Mobile VPN with SSL. With this tool, you have access to software that enables users to connect, disconnect, gather more information about the connection, and to exit or quit the client.
To gain access to your mobile VPN with SSL, you’ll need to follow 4 steps:
- Verify system requirements
- Download the client software
- Install the client software
- Connect to your private network
Prior to these steps, the Firebox must be configured first by your administrator.
To run your VPN software, you must ensure that your hardware has the proper capabilities. You can double-check these requirements on the Fireware Release Notes page. Additionally, you will need to have administrator access to the device.
To use the Mobile VPN with SSL client, your device must support TLS 1.1 or higher. Windows 7 devices can be enabled to support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 through the control panel. More recent devices and MacOS supports this requirement by default.
To enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in Windows 7:
- Open the Windows Control Panel.
- Select Internet Options > Advanced.
- Select the Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 check boxes.
Download the Client Software
In order to download the software to run the VPN, you must authenticate the Firebox with an HTTPS connection over port 443.
To do this:
- Navigate to one of the following web addresses in your preferred browser
- https://<device interface IP address>/sslvpn.html
- https://<device host name>/sslvpn.html
- Enter your username and password on the page that loads.
- Select the Domain you wish to load from.
- Click download for the proper hardware, either Windows or MacOS.
- Save the file to your computer.
Install the Software
- Double-click WG-MVPN-SSL.exe., which will start the installation wizard.
- Accept the default settings on each screen of the wizard.
- Finish and exit the wizard.
- Make sure that the System Preferences > Security and Privacy settings on your Mac allow apps downloaded from Mac App Store and identified developers. This is the default setting.
- Double-click WG-MVPN-SSL.dmg
- In the WatchGuard Mobile VPN volume, double-click WatchGuard Mobile VPN with SSL Installer <version>.mpkg.
- Accept the default settings on each screen of the installer.
- Finish and exit the installer.
Connect to your VPN
Run the program on your computer, either from the Start Menu in Windows or the Applications menu in MacOS.
The server is the IP address of the primary external interface of a Firebox. The username and password are your default authentication credentials for use with WatchGuard products.