5 Ways Technology Has Changed the Holidays
While the holidays still capture our hearts and imaginations as they always have, it’s impossible to ignore the ways that technology has changed old traditions and sparked new ones. From family visits to Christmas shopping, it’s a much different world than the one portrayed in Miracle on 34th Street. Let’s look at 5 ways that technology has changed the way we see celebrations.
- You don’t have to be home to feel at home. With advances in video-conferencing, families that have to be physically apart for the holidays can still enjoy each other’s company. Skype, G-Chat, and FaceTime make it easy to join in for Christmas dinner or gift unwrapping, even when loved ones are serving overseas or stuck across the country.
- Gift shopping isn’t the same burden it used to be. While it’s true that this is the season of giving, few people found the hustle and bustle of holiday retail as pleasant as the rest of our favorite traditions. With online shopping, there’s no need to stand in line or cross your fingers that the Tickle Me Elmo hasn’t sold out yet. Amazon, eBay, and innumerable other online retailers make splurging on friends and family much less stressful.
- Grandma’s recipes get an upgrade. With access to a plethora of recipes from around the world, amateur and professional cooks alike can make delicious, soul-warming meals to share. You never have to worry about Cousin Thomas “just winging it” while making macaroni and cheese. It’s easy to send him a handy recipe that will be a big hit at your family’s potluck.
- Christmas caroling can be done from the comfort of your living room. With social media platforms like TikTok or Instagram, it’s easy to share videos of you belting out your special rendition of Santa Baby, without the need for heavy coats and winter gloves for a trek through the neighborhood. Your neighbors will be grateful and your followers will be entertained. It’s a win-win!
- Tech makes the holidays even more magical for the little ones. If you’ve got kids who are restlessly waiting for Santa to make his descent on your rooftop, Google’s Santa Tracker and Village is a delightful way to keep them up-to-date on the jolly old elf’s latest position. While they’re waiting, your children can also play games, take a selfie with Santa, or learn basic coding from a reindeer. Oh, what fun!
Sometimes, our constant connection can feel overwhelming. With all of the negative, though, there is so much positive! The changes that technology has made in our lives is most evident around this time of year, when modern conveniences give us more time to spend with those we love.
We’ll see you in the New Year!